Thursday, November 19, 2009

My way, or. The highway.

Let me just begin this post by saying that over the last year, I feel like I have been to a million health seminars...so coming here, you know, I was trying to have the right "type" of ingredients in the kitchen, as well as trying to keep the other important aspects of health together (spiritual, physical, mental, intellectual, etc). When it came to the food, however, brown rice and I just couldn't get it together (and dang. brown happens to be my favorite color too!!). So, to make a very long story short. Brown rice and I couldn't get along because of one simple reason, it required patience, and I didn't have it. {Cooking when you're hungry = negative}. Start the cooking before you get hungry!! lol. In other words, I wanted to keep cooking the rice, but only MY way, and not necessarily how it should be cooked. Needless to say, White rice and I are back together!!! :-D. And you know what, so far, it's been a good ride. In fact, today I cooked a meannnn lunch, and I know it was mean because not only was I fully satisfied, others loved it too!!.I even craved it later on. I was so proud of myself that I even called my mother.....[only those of you who know my story would understand why I would have even mention this lol]




ANYways, thinking of my rocky relationship with my brown rice took me back to the sermon I've been wanting to share since forever (check out my other blogs) when I went to the Spanish church earlier on this semester.  I will quickly summarize the message: Using the story of Cain, the pastor illustrated--well, many things, but essentially- the importance of following God the way He wants us to, not the way we want to. Even though Cain did use the best of the best to offer his offerings, it wasn't enough, it wasn't pleasing to God, because it wasn't what the Lord asked. Cain offered his offerings "out of generosity, not obedience; out of independence, not dependence." When we look at our own life, we should understand. How many of us would accept the best apples, oranges, strawberries in place of $1,000 that someone owed us? Be serious. You wouldn't. How many of us would give a student an A for giving us a sheet of perfectly responded calculus problems if we asked for a one-page reflection paper? I wouldn't. You wouldn't either. Same principle applied across.



So really, thinking of my experience with that Brown rice (still have some left lol), it really would've been easier to hit the highway. It would've been an easier, faster, and less challenging road compared to my wacky way. Similarly, taking HIS highway will most likely save us all from quite a few unecessary challenges, and trials and tribulations that are messing us up. Think on that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaking of Highways, I was reminded of a poem that I wrote a couple of years ago. aww. It's a bit long and I'm trying to keep posts short. So if you want to check it out: .CLICK HERE!!.

Til next week.  (I'll be sharing my top 50 things I'm thankful for. Totally appreciate Thanksgiving, though historically, I think it's kind of bogus. Wish there were more Native Americans around.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment